Sunday, 10 March 2013

In the beginning...

I have been nagged for quite some time to start a blog and share my insights, ideas and observations by family and friends; so here goes.

Firstly I am a Mother - something of a bonus today :) (2 - small - boxes of chocolates and cards as well as a hand painted canvas, balloon decorations and breakfast cooked for me and my own Mum this morning!!) Both our children have additional needs on the lower edge of their respective spectra. Our son has Dyspraxia and mild Aspergers; our daughter has an issue processing Oral language. Both of them require slight adaptations and a raised level of conciousness in how we interact with them.

In addition, my professional career has been in child care (in addition to other care roles) and started over 25 years ago now. In that time I have met so many characters and seen the good, the bad and the ugly - I'll leave the interpretation of that statement to your own imagination; suffice to say it's been a journey and not one that I would have missed for all the world. I have been a Childminder for 10 years and work with an average of 13 children, all of whom attend part time. I also volunteer at my children's primary school one day week. Over time I have amassed an assortment of ideas, techniques and anecdotes; some are even useful ;) 

The intention of this blog is to share the concepts and activities, together with the rational behind them, formulated in the monthly planning to support the children in my setting. HOWEVER; I hope this will be interactive and that readers will supplement with their own ideas and initiatives. 

My ideas and understanding have come from a myriad of different sources; friends, training courses, research and websites such as Pinterest and specific health related websites. I will try and attribute credit where it's due, but I have a memory like a sieve for such matters; so if I offend anyone I  sincerely apologise. 




No comments:

Post a Comment